June 2017 (3)
- Police Federation calls on Theresa May to invest in service
Tories looking to form government with far right Democratic Unionist Party
- Advertorial: Pattern of promotion success
This is the third in a six-part series of Police Promotion articles, 'b' the best you can be, provided by bselectedpolice.com
- Independent report into investigator contract rates released
Document establishes a range of pay rates offered for each specific policing profession
May 2017 (6)
- Questions asked over direct entry chief constable process
Department said no decisions had been made following an apparent attempt to gauge views from within the service
- Home Secretary says Conservative approach to policing will remain the same
Fed reps line up to tell Amber Rudd of a crisis in the service
- Policing Minister: Officer numbers are not for me to decide
Delegates are unimpressed by performance
- Gloucestershire Chief insists it's "business as usual" as the force faces blue light merger
Temporary Chief Constable Rod Hansen says he wants to "enjoy" being chief.
April 2017 (2)
- Gwent chief constable announces retirement
PCC described him as a hard act to follow
- Sara Thornton: 'Post-incident procedure must reflect support our officers deserve'
NPCC Chairman, writing exclusively for Police Oracle, says balance between full investigation and fair treatment of armed police officers must be found.
March 2017 (3)
- Why we must do more to intervene early with women at the point of arrest
Opportunities exist to prevent women being drawn into the criminal justice system, the Prison Reform Trust says
- What's good for recruits is good for chiefs: Direct entry proposals sparks debate
Ex-DAC says "laughable competition" for appointments means the time has come for direct entry at the top.
February 2017 (4)
- Cressida Dick named as new Met Commissioner
Mayor of London hails distinguished career of first female boss of force
- Head of Humberside Police agrees 'to make way for new chief'
PCC had warned that Justine Curran's job was not safe
- Chief will release officers from 'tick box mentality'
Northumbria Chief Constable Steve Ashman wants to scrap some of the bureaucracy that comes with the job.
- Chief wants officers to be leaders as he opens the door for promotion
Northumbria Chief says he recognises the benefits of moving forces and taking advantage of the opportunities on offer
January 2017 (1)
December 2016 (3)
- Officer numbers will fall further as budgets frozen next year
Met identifies massive shortfall as Home Office says it's up to council taxpayers to keep funding up
- Policing degrees and formal qualifications given green light
College board approved the plans following a consultation – but implementation may be some time away
- Forces trying to recruit outside leaders without identifying own talent
Inspectorate finds direct entry schemes being sought by South Yorkshire and Humberside, who do not have good enough processes for picking out internal talent
November 2016 (4)
- Home Office will accept non-UK applications for Met Commissioner job
The advertisement for the role was published today with the deadline set for early next year.
- Temporary chief confirmed as head of force after two years in post
CC Dee Collins appointed substantive boss of constabulary she has led since June 2014
- Anti-terrorism police patrol units to be introduced across capital
Metropolitan Police says move is 'not in response to a specific threat'
- Chief officers must have previous UK experience, former commissioners warn
Lord Blair and Lord Condon put forward amendment to Policing and Crime Bill
October 2016 (1)
September 2016 (4)
- Mayors have not played politics with policing, says retiring Met Commissioner
Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, who announced his retirement unexpectedly, claims no politician has acted in a partisan manner
- Police TV documentaries: Good, bad or risky?
As the second series of a show following the development of probationers draws to a close, Ian Weinfass takes a look at potential impacts of being featured on prime time as part of the job
- Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe to retire
Met Commissioner was appointed in September 2011
- Chief super in vulnerability training call for officers
President of the Chief Superintendents Association of England and Wales says officers should have a public protection licence
August 2016 (4)
- Time and cost of qualification leading to detective shortages, rep says
Thames Valley Fed blames accreditation changes for a shortfall of investigators
- North Wales deputy PCC appointment blocked by panel
Inspector turned PCC Arfon Jones had already announced the news on his website
- Former Navy officer appointed new HM Inspector
Matthew Parr joins the inspectorate after more than 30 years in the Royal Navy
July 2016 (1)
June 2016 (5)
- Chief constable announces retirement
Herts chief will step down later this year
- Investment outside criminal justice system 'vital' to improving police custody
Chairman of IPCC warns of lack of alternative provision and resources
- College of Policing to accredit undercover police units
APP for undercover personnel has been made public for the first time
- Temporary chief to be given permanent role
Cleveland PCC has recommended T/CC Iain Spittal be given the job
- Police degrees: Work on apprenticeships has begun, as Met volunteers to pilot programme
Force supports degree option for all new recruits
May 2016 (3)
April 2016 (1)
March 2016 (3)
- Forces owe officers more than 1,000 years of rest days
Top of the table is the Met which owes its officers 176,969 days, or 485 years.
- Thinking about leaving the force?
We want to know how you feel about the job and your plans for the future.
- Force wastes £26,000 after miscalculating compensation
Problem following legal ruling is latest in long list of mistakes which has seen officers paid incorrectly
February 2016 (3)
- MoD Police personnel working excessive overtime, report warned
Officers protecting sites including Trident nuclear missile sub base did 'huge amounts of overtime working' to ensure security
- Police staff jobs at risk as force reduces cost of outsourcing contract
Force says changing financial climate means workforce numbers need to be reduced
- Policing degrees a step closer to fruition as consultation launched
Three academic routes into the job outlined by College amid acknowledgement transferring costs will save public money
January 2016 (3)
- Movers and Shakers: January 2016
There have been many recent appointments in policing. Here PoliceOracle.com rounds up a selection of them
- Firefighters cautious about Home Office's collaboration plans
But Fire Brigades Union representative says service is 'not grieving' about it being joined with policing at ministerial level
- Most chief constables were the only candidate for job last year
Questions raised over influence of PCCs on process
December 2015 (3)
- Region's tri-responders will provide 'quality service' to community
Innovative roles will represent 'step change' in way community safety is delivered.
- 'Cautiously optimistic' chief considering introducing voluntary exit scheme
Experienced police leader spoke to Ian Weinfass about the cuts reprieve, unfair funding formula and the folly of compulsory severance
- Met 'won't scrap PCSOs' despite disappointment over capital city funding
Chancellor's decision to protect the budget means plans to get rid of all PCSOs are no longer being considered
November 2015 (3)
- 'CSI effect' pulls students to forensic career talk
Nearly 1,500 students told about the reality of working in police forensics.
- Angling inspector now out to catch fish poachers
That is people who steal fish - not those who boil them in milk
- PM accused of misleading public on officer figures
Labour candidate tells David Cameron: 'I'm afraid I simply do not recognise your figures'
October 2015 (3)
- Are you promotion ready?
DCI Ben Ewart outlines common problems faced by officers during stage three of the new promotion process and how bselected Police Promotion Success can help.
- 'Money issue' hampers strive for BME representation
Janet Hills from the NBPA says a stalemate in recruitment and chief constables not being held to account is halting progress.
- Video: Policing is still a great career option
Commander Chris Greany talks about how the role of a police officer has changed
September 2015 (2)
August 2015 (1)
July 2015 (11)
- Cybercrime forum brought agencies and businesses together
Forum hosted by Police Oracle's parent company, Red Snapper Group
- Market leading criminal justice staffing business merges with cyber security company
Merger is a 'strategic response to meet recruitment needs of both law enforcement and commercial sectors in terms of cyber-crime investigations'
- Forces will cut control rooms from three to two
Move will save £4m a year after chief constables and police and crime commissioners agreed deal which sees further collaboration
- Royal opens £38 million police training centre
The Wakefield site boasts facilities for real life public order, driving and firearms training
- Rise in officers off with mental health problems
National picture of extent of stress, depression and similar conditions revealed
- PCC calls on the public's help to find new chief
It is believed that no other force has involved the public in the selection process before
- Force launches recruitment drive to deal with major crime
Surrey Police highlights demand of dealing with major crimes including child sex exploitation
- Retired police officers are a 'very desirable commodity'
Retired officer Mark Holdgate says there should be an onus on the police service to provide coaching and mentoring to officers about to retire
- Brave PCs praised after they tackled 'extremely violent' knife-thrower
'These officers displayed immense bravery,' says borough commander after pair injured in incident
- Outsourcing hundreds of Met staff jobs to be signed-off next week
Case for new partnership has been passed on to London Mayor's office for approval
- Government: Arrangements are no threat to HMIC's independence
Ministers reject calls from select committee to change method of appointment for HM chief inspectors