Location: Ascension Island
Salary: Total Package up to £47K
Start Date: February/March 2018
A unique and challenging opportunity has arisen for an experienced Police Officer within the St Helena Police Service. We are seeking a Police Inspector to lead the Policing Team on Ascension Island. This post is open to current Inspectors or suitably qualified and experienced Sergeants.
Working to the St Helena Police Service Senior Management Team based on St Helena, you will lead a small detachment of officers responsible for all the 24hr policing and immigration needs of this small British Overseas Territory with a population of 850 situated in the South Atlantic midway between Africa and South America.
We are a Police Service that aims to deliver a high standard of public service and is committed to Neighbourhood (community) Policing. Working to the Police Service Values and Code of Ethics, this post requires a high degree of integrity with the ability to serve a small community and working collaboratively with partners and Government Officials.
The successful candidate should have:
Essential qualifications and experience
- Can demonstrate the skills and abilities of an Inspector in a multi discipline Home Office Police Force
- Knowledge and understanding of Neighbourhood (Community) Policing / community engagement
- Resilience and flexibility
- Experience of Child Safeguarding Procedures
- Experience in interviewing witnesses and suspects
- Excellent communication skills and political awareness
- Experience of working with key stakeholders and partners
- Knowledge and experience of emergency planning procedures
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Working knowledge of PACE and custody procedures
- Qualified to the rank of Inspector by examination
- Investigative skills
- Knowledge and experience in Traffic Policing/Drink Drive procedures
- Experience of working within a remote or small island community
- Experience of cross-organisational working within the confines of an international treaty
- Experience of working within an Immigration or Border Force environment
The post will be available from February/March 2018. You must possess a British Passport to apply.
The job is offered on an accompanied status contract basis for a period of two years in the first instance and on
satisfactory performance may be extended. The position attracts a total remuneration package up to £47k.
We are offering a two year accompanied status contract with a salary of up to £28,000 per year (taxable in
Ascension Island), together with the following benefits for the applicant valued at up to £19,000 per year:
- Accompanied food allowance (£6,054/year, or £3,054/year if unaccompanied)
- Use of a fully maintained and expensed car
- One mid-contract return air fare to the country of recruitment/residence for officer and family
- Rent-free housing, with electricity and water allowances
- Free medical care and dental care for the officer and family
If you are interested in leading a small team of Officers delivering a public service focussed police and immigration
service to a small island community, this is an ideal opportunity for you. Further information on the post can be
obtained through contact with the Chief of Police, David Lynch on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply online at www.ascension-island.gov.ac/working-here
Closing date for applications is 5pm Friday 26 January 2018.